Monday, February 22, 2010

Bamboo Shoot Beginnings










The first coat of Bamboo Shoot green is on the kitchen walls.




























Project Orb is underway.





And a cat nap is necessary to recharge after all of that hard work.










Sunday, February 14, 2010

Unplanned Update

Another weekend, which means more work on the house. Saturday I started priming the kitchen for painting. I had told Greg that I'd paint the kitchen as his Valentine's gift so he went grocery shopping. I didn't miss going to Walmart on Saturday. In order for Greg to move forward on his other projects (large poster frames and and coffee table) he needed some items from the home store. After I finished priming, we drove to Evansville. There are closer home stores, but we wanted to eat at a Greek restaurant so we drove the extra distance to Evansville. We only found 2 of the 3 items Greg needed for his project. Instead, we found new sconces for our living room. Our existing sconces were dungeonesque. It seems the former homeowners had a thing for chains. As you can see, our new sconces are a bit more sleek and modern.


Old Living Room Sconces
New Living Room Sconces

Sunday I painted a coat on the ceiling and put on a coat on the woodwork. Greg spent a lot of his day cooking. He's a much better cook than me, plus he enjoys it. He made black bean hummus, pasta fagoli soup and he's making chicken calzones for dinner. I'll paint anytime as long as he keeps cooking.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Moving Kitchen Cabinets

I returned from Canada to find that Greg had finished plastering the holes and also installed the new ceiling fan. Guess I was wrong in my last blog...I thought he'd spend all of his time playing video games. This is one of those times I'm glad I was wrong.


After my parents decided not to visit last weekend due to the snowy weather, we decided to try moving the smaller of the two kitchen cabinets. It went surprisely well. In fact, after we got it moved, Greg drilled into the brick wall to insert another outlet and put new plaster around the hole. While he did that, I patched the baseboards and trim. A rather productive day.


As for Sunday...after the ease of moving the cabinet on Saturday, we thought we could possibly move the other cabinet. After a few minutes in, this process had me in a bundle of nerves. I kept saying this isn't a good idea and we need more people to help. By the end of the day, the cabinets were jacked up into position - yes, with a car jack. We didn't have the right drill bit and screws to secure them to the wall. I was nervous into the night, worried that I'd hear a large crash in the kitchen. I insisted that we keep the kitchen doors shut to keep the cats out..worried that they would jump into the cabinets. Greg laughed at me for being so worried. Joke was on me...Sophie ended up locked in the kitchen all night. The kitchen cabinets didn't fall.

Monday night Greg came home with the right drill bit and screws. We secured the cabinets to the wall. My worry disappeared. All because of Greg.

Check out the photo website to see the cabinet moving process!